Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guess who's back!!

Ahhh....the Diva is back from vacation!  Did you miss me?  Be honest...did you even know I was gone?!  After a much needed week in beautiful Cancun, Mexico, I'm back in the saddle again.  Getting back into the groove of cooking and cleaning has been hard this week.  I'm wondering why I didn't bring back our maid, Maria and all the wonderful cooks/waiters at our resort.  They sure do make you feel pampered!  Oh yeah, now I know why I didn't bring them back...that darn immigration thing...

If you've ever been to Mexico, you know how wonderful and cheap the vanilla is.  I usually bring home 3-4 large bottles for all my baking, and by the time the next trip rolls around, I need to restock.  This trip was no different, but I also brought back 3 of the largest, plump vanilla beans.  I pondered what to make with these precious beans, then came across a recipe the other day that I'm super excited to try.  It's a recipe for Vanilla Extract.  It couldn't be easier, and the recipe claims the flavor and intensity puts the best store bought extracts to shame.  I can't wait to see how it turns out and how it tastes. 

Like I said earlier, getting back into the groove of cooking and cleaning has been rough this week.  It's times like these when I lack inspiration and motivation that I turn to great, easy recipes like Hearty Beef Casserole.  This is so simple, so hearty and a real crowd pleaser.  I usually have everything on hand for it too, so it's great on those nights when you just don't know what to make.  You can even substitute the spaghetti sauce for any pasta sauce.  Tonight, I'm making it with Vodka Cream sauce...yum! Try it with a nice green salad on the side and I think you'll be happy that you did! 

Vanilla Extract

1/2 cup vodka (your choice...even the cheapest of vodkas will work, no need to use Grey Goose!)
1 vanilla bean
1 small glass jar with tight fitting lid (I'm using a small mason jar)

Split the bean lengthwise, loosening the inside of the bean with the tip of your knife.  Place in jar with vodka, seal and let sit on counter top for 2-3 months.  The longer it sits, the more intense the flavor. 

Hearty Beef Casserole

4 1/2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 14 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 oz can)
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook pasta and set aside.  Brown ground beef, drain.  Stir in spaghetti sauce, set aside.  In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and soup. Stir until blended.  Drain pasta.  Spoon half of the beef into a greased 9X13 baking dish.  Top with pasta, soup mixture, and remaining beef.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes and 350. 

1 comment:

  1. yay! my diva friend is back! AND i might add...with some fabulous looking new recipes ;) welcome home michelle!

    ReplyDelete