Thursday, March 31, 2011

Savin' & Snackin'

Good morning!  I hope everyone is enjoying Cassie's great posts about saving money...I know I am!  She's inspired me to dedicate one day a week to couponing...I do this on the same say I do my menu planning, that way I can coordinate coupons with what I have on my list.  On average, this method has saved me about $10-15 a week at the store.  Someday I hope to be one of those ladies who gets $100 of goodies for just $10 :)  I have a few other money savers that I'd like to share with you this morning....

Cassie herself turned me onto this next item...be sure to run right out and get it by Saturday!  If you use honey, you know how very expensive it is.  This week at Walgreen's, you can get a 32 oz. bottle of honey, normally priced 7.99, for just 3.99!!!  That is one heck of a deal!  You'll need the coupon that is printed inside the Walgreen's flier...these are normally right inside the store's front door.  With the coupon, you can get 3 bottles!  Stock up!!  You'll need the honey for today's yummy recipe, Chewy Granola Bars. 

Another great money saver is the Meijer M-Perks plan.  If you have a Meijer in your area, be sure to sign up for this at the Meijer website.  The program allows you to clip coupons online, then simply enter your cell phone number on the keypad at the checkout stand.  No carrying coupons, just enter the cell number and the coupons come off your total.  I love this plan!  Occasionally, they'll send you a text alerting you to some fantastic coupons to clip.  Most often, they'll offer a coupon for $2 off your total order, or 10% off any general merchandise purchase.  Check it out...you won't be disappointed!

Speaking of saving some cash, have you priced snack food items lately?  It's crazy, especially with 2 hungry kiddos in the house.  My sis shared this AMAZING recipe for Chewy Granola Bars with me recently, and they are delicious...you won't want to buy granola bars again.  The greatest thing about this recipe is that you can customize the bars to fit your tastes.  You can add chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut, you name it...whatever strikes your fancy, add it!  When I made these, I used chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.  They tasted like a cookie, and the kids, even Miss Picky Lexi, LOVED them.  Try them, and I think you'll agree that they are easy, delish, and a huge money saver.  Go to Walgreens and get your honey and make a batch this weekend :)  Happy saving and snacking my friends!

Chewy Granola Bars

4 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used Kroger quick cooking oats...worked great!)
1 c. flour, you can use all purpose or whole wheat
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
2/3 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. honey
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed well
1 c. mini chocolate chips, or any add-in of your choice...be creative!
1/2 c. peanut butter, optional
1/4 t. cinnamon, optional...I don't care for the cinnamon with the chocolate

Preheat oven to 325.  Mix all ingredient together and press into a lightly greased 9X13 pan.  Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. OH yummy! I love granola so I can't wait to try these. Thank you for sharing! :P

    ReplyDelete