Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Let it Snow!

Can't you just taste it?

Remember the magical qualities that snow held when we were kids?  Heck, if you're as old as I am, perhaps you remember the infamous blizzard of 1978.   I was a mere 6 years old, and I still remember the snow that came up to the roof of our back patio overhang, the WALL of snow that was plowed on US-131, the week of school that was cancelled, and most of all...the fun of playing in all of that white stuff.  Dad and I were just talking about this the other day, and he said he remembers having so much snow, that at one point, he could no longer use the snow blower...it simply wouldn't shoot the snow up past the wall that was already blown!   He also remembered it snowed 4 Sundays in a row, so heavily, that we couldn't even get to church.  If you grew up in my house, you now what that means...we must have had A LOT of snow, because the Ravencraft family NEVER missed church!  lol!!  I also remember the magic of waking up and hearing that we had a snow day.  To this day, I get excited when there's a snow day.  To us, it means being lazy, wearing PJ's all day and just doing a whole lot of nothing. Love it!  A friend shared an email with me today about snow days, written from an educators point of view.  He shared 4 ways to insure a snow day.  They were so cute, I had to share them with you!

Step 1 – Put your pajamas on inside out (bonus points if your pajamas have feet).
Step 2 – Brush you teeth with the opposite hand (harder than it sounds).
Step 3 – Flush a minimum of 6 ice cubes down the toilet (cubes… not crushed ice… another common mistake).
Step 4 – Sleep with a spoon under your pillow (don’t ask me why, just do it).

You can bet I won't be telling the kids about the ice cubes in the toilet thing...can you imagine what a mess they'd make, and how many ice cubes they'd waste?  My poor ice dispenser motor would be burnt up in a day, I guarantee it!  Another winter memory I have is of eating Snow Cream.  What a simple, delicious treat that was!  The key here is to use new fallen snow...avoid that yellow stuff, I hear it's nasty!  As I type, it's snowing like crazy here, and I just may go out and gather up some snow and make this for the kids.  Don't forget to put your spoon under your pillow tonight! 

Ingredients

  • 1 gallon snow
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups milk

Directions

  1. When it starts to snow, place a large, clean bowl outside to collect the flakes. When full, stir in sugar and vanilla to taste, then stir in just enough milk for the desired consistency. Serve at once.

1 comment:

  1. oh that brings back such memories!! my favorite was 'snow' ice cream as a kid!!! sigh....:)

    ReplyDelete