Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Smoky Chicken Spaghetti and Island Chip Cookies

Is it me, or does life never slow down?  We were so busy over the holidays, and we had hoped life would return to a slower pace afterwards, but alas, that's not to be.  As I write, I have a "to-do" list sitting next to me with no less than 14 things on it that I hope to get done today, updating the blog being one of them.  For days like this, I love having recipes on hand than can be prepared in advance and baked later.  Smoky Chicken Spaghetti is a perfect example of such a recipe.  I find that I have TONS of energy in the morning, so I prepare this yummy dish in the morning, that way, when 5 pm rolls around and I'm running out of steam, all I need to do is put it in the oven and wait.  So easy, so economical, and sooo good!

We're getting ready for a much-needed vacation to a sunny, tropical location, and any recipe I find that reminds me of our favorite vacation destination is worth a try.  I came across this recipe for Island Chip Cookies this past weekend and just had to bake up a batch.  I tried them out on my partner in craftiness, Kendra.  She's a fellow coconut lover, and they passed her test ;)  They are super yummy and go great with a tall glass of cold milk, or a piping hot cup of coffee. 

Smoky Chicken Spaghetti

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 lb. spaghetti, broken into 2" pieces
2 cans (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. sour cream
2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper (can substitute green pepper)
1 t. seasoned salt
1 t. liquid smoke
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/8 - 1/4 t cayenne pepper, to taste.  ( I only use 1/4 when preparing it for the kids)

Preheat oven to 350.  I cook my chicken breasts in a small crock pot covered with water, then reserve the broth. (about 2 cups)   Place 1 1/2 cups of the reserved broth  and about 3-4 more cups of water in stockpot and bring to a boil.  Add spaghetti pieces and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of reserved broth,soups, 2 cups of the cheddar cheese, onion, red pepper, black pepper, liquid smoke, seasoned salt,  cayenne and sour cream.  Stir in chicken and drained spaghetti.  Taste to check your seasonings, adding more if needed.  Pour into 9X13" dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.  Bake 35-45 minutes or until bubbly. 

Island Chip Cookies

1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup melted butter (no substitutes)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups white chocolate or vanilla chips
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
3/4 cup walnuts or macadamia nuts, chopped (optional..if omitting, increase flour by 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 375.  Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.  In a mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer), cream butter and sugars.  Add egg and vanilla.  Gradually add dry mixture, chips and nuts.  Using a Pampered Chef medium scoop, place on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake 8-10 minutes, or until light golden brown.  Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment