Friday, January 21, 2011

Pour yourself a cup!

There's nothing as good as Southern Sweet Tea!
Ever have something to drink that is so delicious, you can't wait to have it again?  There's a certain restaurant out there that makes my favorite drink ever...for legal purposes, I won't name the restaurant or the drink, but let's just say you might by greeted by "G'day Mate!" when you walk in the door.  That frozen, peachy concoction is fabulous, something I have almost every time we're there.  Imagine my sheer delight when I found a recipe for this drink, and it's so darn close, it's heaven in a cup.  For those of you who either can't or won't drink alcohol, you can omit the liquor and it's almost as good...not quite, but still fantastic.  I'll take liberty with renaming this drink too, to avoid a massive lawsuit from a lawyer dressed in a kangaroo suit.  Try this recipe for Frozen Peach Paradise and see if you love it as much as I do!!

Another drink we can't get enough of around our house is Southern Style Sweet Tea.  I was raised on sweet tea, and my Grandma R made the BEST sweet tea ever.  I can still taste it, bless her heart.  Wish she could make me a pitcher or two of it.  It was strong, cold and super sweet.  Just what you needed to quench your thirst after a long day of exploring the farm and the barnyard.  I've been told by several people that I make a mean sweet tea too.  It's taken me years of experimenting to find just the right process and ingredients, and by Jove, I think I've got it!  If you know anything about authentic, southern style sweet tea, you know that it's sweet beyond compare.  Don't make or drink this if you're watching your sugar or care about calories.  It packs a wallop of sweetness.  So much so that we're all spoiled by it and when we order sweet tea at restaurants, we inevitably end up dumping 40 sugar packets into our glasses...ok, maybe not 40, but you get the idea.  We like it sweet!  Pour yourself a tall glass and enjoy the weekend!!

Frozen Peach Paradise

1 c. frozen sliced peaches
2 oz. champagne
1 oz. peach Schnapps
1 oz. vodka
4 oz. Kern's Peach Nectar
2-3 ice cubes

Combine all ingredients in blender, blend on high until smooth.  Pour, drink, and enjoy!

Southern Style Sweet Tea

3 Family size Luzianne tea bags
2 cups sugar
1 gallon water

In a tea kettle, boil 1/2 the water.  When it whistles, turn off the heat, add the tea bags and let steep for 25 minutes.  Remove tea bags, add sugar and stir.  Let cool, then pour into gallon size pitcher.  ( I LOVE the Pampered Chef Quick-Stir Pitcher)  Add cool water to measure 1 gallon, stir and chill.  Serve with fresh sliced lemon.  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment